Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Indoor vs. Outdoor

Hey look, a cloud in the shape of an elephant.

Just did my "Short" 3-mile on the treadmill, and did the entire thing without stopping for a walk break once!! Did the whole run at 5mph, according to the treadmill.

I am finding it a lot harder to jog indoors than outdoors for some reason. It makes no sense really - inside I have lovely air conditioning, music blasting, whatever I want to watch on tv, but it feels like every step is a struggle. Whereas outside, I have cars, monkeys and golf balls to dodge, not to mention the daily 80+ degree heat plus humidity, yet I feel as though I could run forever. It really must be a mental thing.

Exercise:
3-mile "short run" on treadmill: 3.22miles total, 36m55s, 385 calories burned

Food:
9.45am - bowl of Total Greek yogurt, granola, blueberries, honey, 2 cups coffee
2pm - 7oz Cobia (kingfish) sashimi, with wasabi and soy sauce
4pm - 1 green apple
5pm - some bites of roasted chicken
8pm - 1 cup earl grey
11pm - some more bites of sashimi off stuart's plate, 1 cup earl grey

I find myself having new questions running through my brain every day about marathon day, running in general, etc. Sometimes it even keeps me awake at night! Stupid right? Like every time I read an article or blog about someone's experience, I think to myself "what is that gadget they're referring to? Should I get one?"... ... ... also:
 - Am I wearing the right kind of sports bra?
 - DAMMIT why didn't I get a watch pedometer instead of a clipon one?
 - Should I wear a coat or windbreaker on the bus to the starting line? What if I want to ditch it?
 - Should I wear sunglasses, or a hat, or both or neither?
 - Should I bring a sports drink, gels, both, neither?
 - Headband?
 - Different kind of earbuds for my iPod?
 - Do I stretch before the race? Not at all?
 - What will I eat that morning? The night before?
 - What if I get a mind-numbingly painful cramp? Shall I bring pills?
...etc etc etc

I found this article on Runner's World, I'm sure tons of people have read it already, but it has some great advice (I think?) on prepping for the big day. Google is awesome. We are so damn spoiled in our modern world.

No comments:

Post a Comment